import disappointment

Thomas Heller thomas.heller at ion-tof.com
Mon Apr 17 14:48:25 EDT 2000

After playing with 'import' and __import__ for quite some time
I discovered that neither ihooks nor knee works correctly.
Put

import ihooks
ihooks.install()

into your sitecustomize.py and start Pythonwin: it will fail.

There are several problems here:
1. reload does not what it should (I submitted a patch for ihooks
to correct this problem, the same technique must be used for knee).
2. ihooks does not import modules via the registry: there is a bug
report in the python bug list for this one, I will also submit a (partial)
patch for that.
3. Another yet unfound problem

Using imputil is out of question because most programs
including pythonwin are only expecting strings in sys.path.

Before I use more work on this: Has anybody a version
which really works correctly?

Thomas Heller