Warning switches (was: Python 1.6 alpha 1 released)

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 17:42:38 EDT 2000

In article <nctG4.5133$74.83090 at newsc.telia.net>,
Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
>Johannes Stezenbach <yawyi at gmx.de> wrote:
>> >However, I'll do so for purely backwards compatible reasons, and I
>> >will continue to press for the tuple address as the correct form.
>>
>> Will python then support a -w switch to support people in writing
>> correct programs (i.e. compatible with likely furure language/library
>> changes), just like our-favourite-four-letter-P-language?
>
>how about -v<version> ?
>
>there has been talks about compatibility "modes" (probably an option,
>but probably also a way to set options programmatically), as a way to
>help people prepare for "Python 3000".  I think we might expect some
>of it in 1.7, and more of it in 1.8 (if that ever materializes).
>
>but hopefully, Python 3000 will be completely free from modes.

It is important to distinguish modes from warning levels.  The
former imply that there are several subtly different languages,
and are usually regarded as snares and delusions.  The latter
are best described by the following question:

    Do you want me to tell you when I think that you may be
making a mistake, when you are doing something that is asking
for trouble, or only when you have definitely got it wrong?"

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679