Refactoring browser for Python?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Apr 7 10:09:12 EDT 2000

wheineman <wheinemanNOwhSPAM at uconect.net.invalid> wrote:

> There seems to be some discussion of just this at WikiWiki. See
>
> http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?PythonRefactoringBrowser
>
> and
>
> http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?BicycleRepairMan
>
> BicycleRepairMan being the current name of the browser (highly
> commendable choice). There's only talk at the moment but they are
> looking for volunteers.

I've been interested in Python refactoring for a while, at least, as a
theoretical issue. It wouldn't be all that difficult to add automatic
refactorings to, say, IDLE. A tricky bit is coming up with a list of
suitible refactorings. But if one started with simple, intramodular
refactorings (fucntion->method, method->function, moving things up and
down a class heirarchy, fuction stored to local, etc.) I don't imagine
it would take much time automate them at all and they would be
immediately useful.

Hmm. I imagine various attribute settings and gettings are ripe for
refactorings, but I don't know, off hand, the details.

--
Bijan Parsia
http://monkeyfist.com/