Python 1.6 alpha 1 released

Radovan Garabik garabik at melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk.spam
Mon Apr 3 07:43:44 EDT 2000

Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
 : Bjorn Pettersen wrote:
 :> I haven't seen anyone claim that examples in the manual are not
 :> documentation...

 : in earlier releases of the library reference, some examples
 : didn't even work.  you still think they're formally binding?

 :> It would be very nice if "someone" could do that, but based on the
 :> rethoric I've seen from you on this issue, and the absence of comment
 :> from Guido, I certainly don't feel confident that it would be accepted.

 : you don't know that until you've tried it...

 : you may have to work on your presentation, though. thinking
 : about the following may help you come up with a stronger case:

 : -- how does typical socket.connect code look?

s.connect(addr, port)

 : -- what exception do you get after this change?  how
 :    does the error message look?  can anyone else figure
 :    out what's wrong?

 : -- is there any chance that people might be expecting
 :    the resulting exception from socket.connect (or the
 :    code invoking it)?  or in other words, is it likely that
 :    there will be a try/except clause around the call, that
 :    will misbehave (thus hiding the actual error message)?

well, I am bitten by this....
I use try/except around socket.connect, and this change would break some of
my scripts (but fixin them takes about 2 minutes, so I am not complaining
much)

 : -- can anyone but the original author fix the problem
 :    without breaking the program?

write a wrapper function around socket.socket.... not too difficult

 : when you've done this, replace "socket.connect" with
 : "list.append", and try again.

I never used multiple arguments in list.append...