[ANNOUNCE] Garbage collection for Python

Neil Schemenauer nascheme at enme.ucalgary.ca
Sun Apr 9 23:24:14 EDT 2000

Chuck Esterbrook <echuck at mindspring.com> wrote:
>Looking at Python FAQ 6.14 on GC, I see another one as well:
>
>http://starship.python.net/crew/gandalf/gc-ss.html

I can't tell too much from that page.  I think it modifies Python
to use the Boehm-Demers garbage collector.  It also seems to be a
bit out of date.

The Boehm-Demers GC works fine when it works but it is not as
portable as Python.  It also requires modifying existing
extension modules.  The chance of Guido accepting such a patch
for Python is about zero.

If you really want to use the Boehm-Demers GC, I have a patch on
my page for Python 1.5.2.

>Also, you might want to get yours mentioned in the FAQ.

I would rather get the bugs stomped out of my patch and get it
included in 1.6 or 1.7.  We can then remove the FAQ entry.  :)

    Neil

--
Real programmers don't make mistrakes