Was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Garbage collection for Python, now Stackless comments

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Mon Apr 17 10:48:42 EDT 2000

Shae Erisson wrote:

> Christian Tismer wrote:

[stuff about continuations, whether to hide them or not]

> So when do we get to Pickle continuation objects and send them out
> across the network, or even better, to another VM running on a second
> processor? :)

This is on my task list for 1.3 or 1.4, but it isn't
trivial. It is also quite different, since its relation
to continuation is much less than you might think.
ontinuations and frames are quite simple to pickle, but
this doesn't solve the whole problem. I must figure out
what to pickle at all, and I have to catch the state
of the current interpreter and restore it. This is
hard, since I might be in an import or in a C extension
that calls an interpreter, and so on.
Unless Stackless isn't completely stackless, the pickling
problem is not any simpler than before.

> Personally, I think continuations and coroutines are beautiful, and
> easier and simpler than threads. Yay Christian! (and Yay Guido for
> writing Python!)

Please let me take 10000 clones from you :-)

> PS. Can someone point me to example code for building smalltalk style
> closures easily with continuations?

Can you point me to a paper about smalltalk closures?
I don't have a blank idea at all.

ciao - the clueless implementor