Smalltalk on the small end (was: Advice requested: GUI project beginning)

Carl E Gundel carlg at world.uucp
Tue Apr 4 12:53:59 EDT 2000

Christopher Browne (cbbrowne at news.hex.net) wrote:
: Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Cameron Laird would say:
: >Actually, there's another thread here asking to
: >be launched.  Python (and Tcl, too, in a somewhat
: >different fashion is (are) really quite extraor-
: >dinary for shell-level scripting and operation.
: >I find myself wondering more and more how people
: >get along without such (*particularly* on the
: >conventional desktops--Win* and MacOS).  I do
: >think Python is clearly superior to Smalltalk
: >for those one-page scripts that most people do
: >with /bin/sh; still, I'm willing to consider that
: >Smalltalk is more capable in this regard than I
: >yet realize, and, in any case, I can well imagine
: >Smalltalk proponents favoring it over /bin/sh.

: The "power" of Smalltalk comes not when you're writing one page shell
: scripts, but when you have a bunch of "objects that do useful things"
: that can all run in a single Smalltalk environment.

Smalltalk was the operating system on the machines it was originally
created to run on, and in that case scripting made lots of sense.  :-)

-Carl
 Carl Gundel  carlg at world.std.com  Shoptalk Systems  508-872-5315
 author of Liberty BASIC, a 1996 PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://world.std.com/~carlg/basic.html