PEP 0214 - extended print statement

Chris Ryland cpr at emsoftware.com
Fri Aug 18 18:44:06 EDT 2000

Please forgive a relative Python newbie's whining (and forgive me if this
has already been discussed in public), but I think the proposed extended
print syntax is TERRIBLE.

(Viz., simplifying, print >> outfile, something .)

This seems very un-Pythonic in that it's overloading the >> operator and
giving it a completely unrelated meaning in this one, lonely context.

Since the print statement is already quite special, why overload an existing
valid operator? Just add another (non-reserved, perhaps) keyword, along the
lines of

print something to outfile

Comments?
--