Newbie question: Python Not Answering HTTP Page

Ronald E Jeffries ronjeffries at acm.org
Mon Aug 7 13:45:36 EDT 2000

I've had my ISP set up .py files in the cgi-bin directory to run
Python. He thinks he's done that. But when I access those files, IE
hangs and finally complains of a timeout, with the message

CGI Timeout

The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for
processing. The server has deleted the process.

I've put up a simple hello.py, which is:

#! /usr/bin/python
#hello
print "Content-type: text/html\r"
print "\r"
print "<HTML>\r"
print "   <HEAD>\r"
print "     <TITLE>Hello World</TITLE>\r"
print "     </HEAD>\r"
print "     <BODY>\r"
print "     <H1>Greetings, Terrans!</H1>\r"
print "     </BODY>\r"
print "</HTML>\r"

(I've also used the same program with \n for \r and just plain print,
e.g.
	print "<HTML>"

They all hang. Am I doing something wrong, or is it likely the setup
on my ISP?

Thanks!

Ron Jeffries
http://www.XProgramming.com