Telecommuting (was Re: Looking for Python programmers--where to search?)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Wed Aug 23 11:36:06 EDT 2000

In article <39a3d9cb.4496054 at news.laplaza.org>,
Mats Wichmann <xyzmats at laplaza.org> wrote:

>(Hint to employers:  there are lots of competent folks who are willing
>to help on projects - part-time or full-time, consulting or permanent,
>who don't understand why that should mean being tied to the SF Bay
>Area... think: telecommuting.  I've done it productively for years.
>If you bend a little on location your lives will get a whole lot
>easier trying to fill those difficult spots!  The Bay Area has priced
>itself out of being a place most people can live).

I dunno.  It depends what kind of work you're doing, IMO.  If it's
something reasonably "standard", then what you're talking about makes
sense.  OTOH, I've certainly seen telecommuting fail miserably; while
it's not clear that the telecommuting was the problem, I do think that
telecommuting makes it easier to hide problems.  In addition, I think
there's no substitute for face-to-face brainstorming.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

The difference between "intelligence" and "wisdom": Londo and G'Kar