I have some problem about IDLE, help me...

Francesco Bochicchio fbochicchio at galactica.it
Tue Aug 1 03:03:59 EDT 2000

Pi wrote:

> I install Python by Debian Pakage...
> python excute well...
> but IDLE does not...
> if I type "idle"
> I got below message...
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/usr/bin/idle", line 3, in ?
>     PyShell.main()
>   File "/usr/lib/idle/PyShell.py", line 612, in main
>     fixwordbreaks(root)
>   File "/usr/lib/idle/editorWindow.py", line 606, in fixwordbreaks
>     tk.call('tcl_wordBreakAfter', 'a b', 0) # make sure word.tcl is loaded
> TclError: extra characters after close-quote

Not sure about that, but probably it is a matter of version of Tcl/Tk.
I have debian potato (2.2 or 'frozen-going-to-stable'), Tcl8.0, TK  8.0,
python 1.5,  python-tk 1.5.2 packages and idle (1.5.2) works fine.
If this does not help, take your problem to
user-debian at lists.debian.org.
They usually are quite helpful.

Tip: have you considered Emacs + python_mode ? I find it more useful
than
idle ( at least for now ). Just my 2 lire, anyway.
--
FB