Problem in installing python-mode.el

Yu Zhang zhangy at yuma.Princeton.EDU
Sat Aug 19 14:39:36 EDT 2000

Hi,
I downloaded the python-mode.el and did the compiliation
and installation according to the guide on the www.python.org
site. However each time I load  "*.py" file, emacs complains

"File mode specification error: (void function python-mode)"

Obviously, either the emacs does not see the python-mode.elc
file under specified path(I copied the ?elc into
the dir for the other elisp codes). I'm using emacs 20.4 on
redhat linux 6.1. Does anyone have a clue? I doubt the compile
didn't go through, Here's the message:

"Compiling file /data4/home/zhangy/python-mode.el at Sat Aug 19 14:36:18
2000
  ** assignment to free variable zmacs-region-stays
While compiling python-mode:
  ** assignment to free variable add-log-current-defun-function
  ** reference to free variable py-which-shell
While compiling py-electric-delete:
  ** reference to free variable delete-key-deletes-forward
While compiling the end of the data:
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined: make-extent,
    set-extent-property, buffer-syntactic-context, event-point,
    event-buffer, extent-at, extent-property, delete-forward-p
"

TIA