input question

Richard Chamberlain richard_chamberlain at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 6 15:58:28 EDT 2000

"cræsh" wrote:

> HI!!
> I've just started with python. I've already finished with the tutorial, but
> I still cant begin.
> I've programed before with BASIC (AmstradB, QB and VB(...jes, for windoze)),
> but I cant find a command to get some data from the user (like 'input "How
> do you feel?", a$' in Basic, or 'cin<<a' in c/c++).
> Another question: how do I build up a window with some buttons with
> pythonwin? I 've found some commands like 'win32con.CButton.CreateWindow' or
> something similar, but I get errors. Is there any IDE aviable for download?
>
> Thanks
> cræsh

Hi,

The function you're looking for is raw_input().

Creating a gui with win32 extensions isn't the easiest thing in the
world as it uses the windows api. Also anything you created wouldn't be
cross platform. Have a look at either Tkinter or wxPython for a more
cross platform solution. For both of these there are tutorials on the
web:

http://www.wxpython.org/

http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/

Richard