Looking for Python programmers--where to search?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed Aug 30 08:59:13 EDT 2000

Jeremy Hylton <jhylton at my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8o8nhl$1r3f$1 at news.tht.net>,
>   "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at vex.net> wrote:
>> And they probably aren't really programmers either.  An earlier poster
>> made the point I think.  Ignore languages and concentrate on their
>> skills in problem solving, interpreting requirements and designing
>> solutions.  If you get the right guy he will pick up Python the night
>> after the first interview just because he wants to find out about this
>> cool new language that you and your company are excited about.

> That's pretty much my experience with Python :-).

For me it was similar but the other way around. I was exploring some
programming languages (messing about with Perl), and because I'd heard
about Python before, I downloaded and printed Guido's tutorial. I read it
one night before going to sleep. Though I was still attempting a 'while'
loop the next day where a 'for' loop would've been far more appropriate,
I picked up Python and Python idioms very quickly (especially after
I started reading this newsgroup).

A few weeks later I went to a 'temporary job' (I'm still there after
about two years, though moving on in october), and I introduced Python there.
Although I'm still the only person there who really writes stuff in Python,
we are running Zope and I've transferred quite a lot of Zope knowledge and
some Python to a few of my coworkers.

I was hooked pretty much instantly. Happened to me with the Internet too,
back in '91; and look at what happened with that! :)

Regards,

Martijn