new bitwise module [was Re: Discussion: new operators ...]

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Wed Aug 2 01:02:19 EDT 2000

Ben Wolfson wrote:

> a[i] bitleft:= 1
>
> No one in his or her right mind could possibly see anything wrong with
> that.

So I assume that the matrix people will all be perfectly
satisfied with

   A matrixmultiply B
   A elementwiseadd B

etc. :-)

Seriously, the matrix people were complaining that there weren't
enough operator symbols available for overloading... and now
they want to *remove* a whole bunch of operator symbols! Seems
a tad incongruous to me.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg