new bitwise module [was Re: Discussion: new operators ...]

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at localhost.localdomain
Tue Aug 1 14:36:19 EDT 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:11:59 +0200, Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:

>""" bitwise.py - replaces builtin bitwise operations with named functions
>"""
[snip]

>OK, so, how does one proceed now?  We have a new simple and general
>purpose module that we believe might be beneficial to include in the
>standard distribution -- what do we send were to submit it? Anybody knows?

Someone may give a more official answer, but AFAIK, I suppose we could just
put in a few more docstrings and submit it to the python-dev list?  I'm not
sure this need a PEP, but it wouldn't hurt.  The PEP would describe why
named functions are better, how this module is going to replace the bitwise
operators, and hints on a C implementation when the bitwise operators are
decommisioned.  I hope you could do this, as I'm still struggling with the
PEP for math operators at my spare time.

Or, if Guido or Tim is listening on this thread, what's your opinion?

Huaiyu