How does Python compare to ?

Donn Cave donn at oz.net
Tue Aug 1 01:14:47 EDT 2000

Quoth pj at sgi.com (Paul Jackson):
[re -S]
| That helps some, but not as much as you are seeing.  I just saw
| the Python time on my Irix box, between loading libc and reading
| the 'print' command go from 178 msec down to 72 msec.  Not close
| to the 9 or 10 msec for perl.
|
| I still see the stat for 'python' along my $PATH, the loading
| of the exceptions module, and the sigaction() calls.  And it's
| still mostly cpu bound, with perhaps 33 msec spent very early
| on, doing just a handful of system calls (before the search
| for python along $PATH), and almost 20 msec spent digesting
| the exceptions module.
|
| The number of open and stat attempts goes down to 12 and 19,
| respectively.  No change in the number of sigaction calls.

When I timed -S, on FreeBSD 4.0, it didn't help my times as
much as it did yours.  I also tried -X, and it hardly helped
at all, but from your account I wonder if it might make more
of a difference there on Irix.

Sure seems like a lot of frosting in the list of things you
see Python doing during its startup.

	Donn Cave, donn at oz.net