Sourceforge and Python

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Aug 5 22:00:45 EDT 2000

[Samuel A. Falvo II]

> How the *hell* did you get your CVS repo to work on SourceForge?  :)
> Whenever I try to upload to the repo I've set up for my own project,
> it tells me I don't have write permissions after processing about four
> or five files (I forget the exact error phrase, but that's basically
> what it reports).  Now, I've used CVS before -- I have a repo set up on
> my box at home.  What am I missing with respect to CVS with SourceForge?

(By the way, thanks to those who shared their opinion with me, on this list.
I did start to use SourceForge, and it's OK so far.)

Experimenting around, I noticed that you have to make sure to repeat the
project at the end of the `-d' argument, like (from memory):

   root=:pserver:cvs.PROJECT.sourceforge.net/cvsroot/PROJECT
   cd TOP_LEVEL && cvs -d$root import -d -ko PROJECT

You get misleading diagnostic about permission errors if you forget /PROJECT
at end of first line.  I also noticed I later got misleading (and probably
wrong) diagnostics about duplicate keywords when I cd to the parent of
TOP_LEVEL instead of TOP_LEVEL, for `cvs update' operations.  Strange.
I feel a bit uncomfortable with new software (like CVS for me) when trivial
bugs pop out so easily :-).  Of course, one learns to avoid such errors,
but I much prefer software when all bugs are corrected, trivial or not.
When maintainers pay less attention about trivialities, it might be possible
that our opinions differ, some day, about if something is trivial or not.