Questions for Guido van Rossum

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Aug 6 02:14:24 EDT 2000

[Tim]
> In the other direction, e.g., CNRI just restored the four ex-CNRI
> PythonLabs guys' admin access to python.org (CNRI had cut off
> their access on June 30th, as we were *about* to release Python
> 2.0b1 with a new license (BSD) CNRI didn't like).

[QuoteMstr]
> Don't tell me --- Their legal people don't think that's a valid
> license either?

Don't know, but doesn't matter.  The gripe here was that, since they didn't
believe the CWI license was valid, they-- as the copyright holder --didn't
believe we had the right to release a derivative work without a license they
*liked*.  As things turned out, it appears the only license they like is the
one they wrote.  That doesn't mean that the only license they believe is
valid is their own.  As the copyright holder, they have the right to impose
any license at all.  The thing in dispute was whether *we* had the right to
release without their having any say about the license.

I expect that's it for me on this issue!  I've typed in everything I know at
least twice now, and in Usenet tradition any more will just be fragmented
repetition; that's already started.  DejaNews is your friend <wink>.

preemptively y'rs  - tim