[Python-Dev] Still no new license -- but draft text available

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Aug 3 11:48:09 EDT 2000

In article <8mbeg70243j at news1.newsguy.com>,
Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:

>I'm not a lawyer, but: classical legal doctrine (from Roman Law,
>which I do know a tiny little bit about as an amateur passionate in
>Roman history:-) holds that if a contract contains provisions contra
>legem, then the _whole_ contract may be deemed null and void; private
>agreements not being allowed to override the law in any way, any
>agreement so doing becomes suspect.

I don't know about contracts, but I've seen many proposed laws in the
USA come with provisions that say (paraphrased), "Should any section of
this law get struck down by a court, the remaining sections still
stand."

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

NOTE: end of September, Earthlink kills Netcom.  My new permanent address is
aahz at pobox.com.  I have not decided where to set my primary shell account.
Please do not send me e-mail condolences; my mailbox is already too big.