reducing fractions

CP wsteiner at apci.net
Sun Aug 20 23:22:10 EDT 2000

Okay.  This obviously was a big fight.

First of all, I am a 15-year old who enjoys math and hoped to find some
interesting articles on math.  One of my newsgroups was WOW!  This one is
good too, but I totally disagree with the fact that fractions are
unimportant.  Anyone who refuses to teach their kids about fractions in math
is depriving them of a good idea of algebra later on.  FRACTIONS ARE
IMPORTANT.  In addition, home-schooling is okay in the early-childhood IF
the teacher (parent) allows the kid to learn what he/she is expected to
learn.  THIS WOULD INCLUDE FRACTIONS: THANK YOU.  Plus, on most P.C.'s with
MS Windows there is a program called Character Map
(file://c:/Windows/Charmap.exe).  (This link may not work on some
computers).  Double-click the fraction you want in the font you want, click
copy, and then click paste in your application, and vólia!  Instant
fraction.  In other words, the argument that fractions won't work on a
computer (which was what was implicated in the later statement) isn't a fair
argument.  Yes, they might not work properly as numbers, but you can put
them in documents.  I also agree with what the person said below:

....THE fundamental concept with fractions is that m/n = am/an.
> To understand that one must see factors of numerator and denominator....

In other words, don't deprive your kids from the wonder of fractions.

Thanks,
CPS

<dannyboy at here.com> wrote in message
news:h6vjps85s7dhf7kfjrvm1prndnn3dnq4sq at 4ax.com...
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:35:02 GMT, "Greg Scott" <home at gregscott.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Factors? We don't need no steenking Factors!
> >Pardon me while I indulge my propensity for a rant:
> >1. Explain the concept. Then have them write a computer program to do it.
If
> >they can do it, they'll learn something. If not, they might also.
>
> Nonsense.  THE fundamental concept with fractions is that m/n = am/an.
> To understand that one must see factors of numerator and denominator.
>
> Write a computer program to do what they do not yet understand
> ....how?  More nonsense.
>
> >2. Don't bother. The average man on the street barely understands prime
> >numbers and factoring, or doesn't really understand it at all. So just
> >concentrate on survival skills. Teach them to use a calculator and use
> >decimals. Forget fractions.
>
> More nonsense.  How then will they deal with rational expressions in
> algebra without a knowledge of the process with numbers?
>
> >I've been doing database design for years,
> >and I still don't grok all of the laws of database normalization.
Sometimes

submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math at sd28.bc.ca
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-moderator at thinkspot.net