Still no new license -- but draft text available

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sun Aug 13 14:56:19 EDT 2000

Tim Peters wrote:

> [QuoteMstr]
> > Seriously, how much trouble is it to put up a web site with the
> > source available for download? It's not, especially for a
> > company that will supposedly manufacture and distribute thousands
> > of units of this appliance.
>
> [Grant Griffin]
> > Sure, that part's easy--if you're doing it yourself.  But if you
> > work for The Big Corporation, just _try_ to get that done.  Oh, and
> > try to convince the corporate lawyers that the legal risk (as they
> > see it) of using GPL software is worth the benefit.  And try to
> > convince your management that it's worth fighting the corporate
> > lawyers.
>
> Indeed so, but not restricted to The Big Corporation.  The Little
> Corporation may be even worse, as needing to spend just a few hundred lousy
> dollars on a hasty legal opinion may mean nobody gets Free Pizza anymore for
> working long nights.  It's just not worth it to *anyone*.
>
> Python is-- like the TV show for which it's named --subversive.  If anyone
> is baffled by Guido's anti-marketing of Python or its philosophy, they
> haven't watched enough Terry Gilliam animations <wink>.
>
> you-buy-python-in-the-end-because-you-don't-have-to-
>     and-isn't-that-a-delight!-ly y'rs  - tim

Well, Tim, I've always wondered if the CWI license was an expression of
Guido's personal ideas and values, or just something that his employer
at the time thought was best (or maybe both.)  Assuming Guido feels the
same way you do, you seem to be confirming my suspicion that Python's
freedom to be used commercially is based partly on a degree of marketing
insight which certain other big names in free/open software--not to name
any names <subliminal naming of names: _Richard Stallman_>--never
achieved.

As a commercial user (who has never actually used Python commercially,
but would like to some day), I appreciate the fact that its license(s)
carry the concept of "openness" to its logical conclusion.  That's good
marketing too.

nothing-ever-becomes-a-big-success-without-effective-marketing
   -(and-can-it-be-mere-coincidence-that-the-linux-penguin-is-cuter
     -than-the-gnu-gnu?-<gesundheit!>)-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com