Still no new license -- but draft text available

John W. Stevens jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com
Tue Aug 15 12:38:37 EDT 2000

Gary Momarison wrote:

> "John W. Stevens" <jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com> writes:
>
> > Courageous wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Stallman has fairly well soured on his whole "copyleft" notion
> > > anyway. Free software is winning, the rest of us see little need
> > > for communism. Which is exactly what copyleft is, IMO.
> >
> > What utter and total nonsense.  Copyleft is not about communism, it is
> > about removing artificial barriers to competition.  Copyleft is, quite
> > simply, cooperative-competition, which works by competing over "I have a
> > better idea", rather than, "I've hidden my ideas".
>
> I'm not sure what "utter and total" adds to "nonsense" besides
> emotions

It differentiates between a mostly valid idea, or a valid idea
improperly applied, and an instance of "The Big Lie".  Calling the GPL
and copyleft "communism" is simply another attempt to use the principle
of the big lie (which requires a bit of emotional tying to really work
well).

Had you not used the term "communism" (which carries a fair amount of
negative emotional baggage), I would have simply said: "nonsense", and
left it at that.  ;->

The respondents to this thread seem to have an emotional attachment to
this issue that precludes the option of settling on: "live and let
live".  Frankly, I can see valid uses for both classes of license, but
it is clear that the GPL is more generous than your BSD'ish type
licenses.  Generousity, however limited, is still something I believe
in, so either license is preferable to hoarding.

> Its sense depends on his definition of communism.  John talks of
> "the community" and "the cooperative".  These are terms common in some
> (all?) brands of communism and are not much different from "commune"
> in meaning.  It's not hard for some to make the leap.

If one is not familiar with communism, one can easily end up calling
anything but "fight to the death" capitalism a form of communism.  And,
indeed, I've seen that done repeatedly.

But to call copyleft communism is simply out and out nonsense, for the
most obvious reasons, including that the GPL is not a political system.
Or did RMS throw his hat into the ring and decide to run for President
while I've been away?  :-)

> But I don't think the term should be used without a lot of explanation.

Which term are you talking about?

--

If I spoke for HP --- there probably wouldn't BE an HP!

John Stevens
jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com