Pronouncing "print>>"

Carey Evans c.evans at clear.net.nz
Thu Aug 31 08:27:28 EDT 2000

While I don't really like the new print syntax, I've decided to accept
it.  This leaves me with the problem of how to say it out loud.
However, I just remembered ESR's "ascii" program:

$ ascii '>'
ASCII 3/14 is decimal 062, hex 3e, octal 076, bits 00111110: prints as `>'
Official name: Greater-than sign
Other names: Right Angle, Write To, Into, Toward, Out, To, Gozinta,
  Right Funnel, Right Broket, Zap, Blow

I can see a few candidates for pronunciation of a common use here:

  print>> sys.stderr, ...

     "print gozinta sys dot standard err"
     "print zap zap sys dot standard err"
     "print zaps sys dot standard err"
     "print blows sys dot standard err"

I'm partial to the first option myself, thogh the last one has a
certain something.  Opinions?

  "As I understand it, gnus is emacs. Thus gnus is Evil Incarnate."
                                                       - Jasper Janssen