print statement and multithreading

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri Aug 25 09:53:43 EDT 2000

[Alex Martelli]
> I understand it would be different were it strictly a United
> States matter (governmental bodies cannot, by law, own any
> copyright in the US, isn't it so?), but it isn't.

I think the "American", "National", "Standards" and/or "Institute" <wink> in
ANSI may have tricked you here:  *most* organizations in America with stuff
like that in their names have nothing to do with the government, and ANSI is
no exception.  ANSI is a private, voluntary, membership organization, and
typically receives less than 1% of its funding from government grants (most
derives from selling their stds!).  They have no legal authority to set or
enforce standards here.  What they *do* have is a fine reputation for
producing solid technical standards, and their standards are often adopted
(and conformance written into contracts) on that happy basis.

legally-speaking-they've-got-no-more-clout-than-the-national-turkey-
    federation<gobble>-ly y'rs  - tim