Bug in os.stat-module??

THOMAS WEHOLT weholt at c2i.net
Wed Aug 2 17:41:30 EDT 2000

Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:8ma0i5$3r2c$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu...
> Quoth "THOMAS WEHOLT" <weholt at c2i.net>:
> | I try to get the different date-variables from a file on a cd-rom using
the
> | os.stat-method. It returns the same integer for all three, atime, ctime
and
> | mtime. Doing the exact same on a plain file anywhere else on the
filesystem
> | other than cd-rom will return, three, or at least two different
integers.
> | But on the cd-rom all the files have the same integer-value returned
from
> | the os.stat-call. Why?
> |
> | Anybody with the same experience and a possible workaround or fix?
>
> I find the same on FreeBSD 4.0.  I don't think there is any workaround
> or fix.  If you think about it, I think you'll agree that it's the only
> way it could work, when the filesystem resides on a readonly medium.
>
> Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu

Well, I thought the content of the date-properties of a file were kept when
they were burned on the cd.
The creation date for instance, why should that change? The file isn't
re-created when it's burned on the cd.

I don't know, but it seemed kinda strange to me. At least now I got some
sort of explaination and that helps. Thanks.