Python, VC++, and Mingw32

Mo mo at nospam.com
Thu Aug 10 21:11:15 EDT 2000

Neil Hodgson wrote:

> > Doesn't it seem strange that Python, a free *open source* project,
> > doesn't officially support any of the free win32 compilers?
>
>    Yes. It would be really good if Win32 Python could be easily built with
> gcc (I'd prefer mingw) or the free Borland compiler. All that is needed is
> for someone to put in the effort. And to support any required modifications.
>
>    Neil

I don't mean to start a language war here, but if you want a
good example to work from you should check out the new
windows build system for Tcl/Tk 8.3.2. I did some work on
the Makefiles to get them working with mingw, it is rather
easy once you have some examples to work from.

Just run
tcl8.3.2/win/configure
make

You can even cross compile the Windows executable under Linux.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc