Unanswered Questions in python.faqts.com

Michael Dyck MichaelDyck at home.com
Tue Aug 22 00:35:42 EDT 2000

Fiona Czuczman wrote:

> FAQTS : Computers : Programming : Languages : Python : Installation and
> Configuration
> When I start Python 1.5.2, I get the error: Built-in exception class not
> found: EnvironmentError. Library mismatch?" Any ideas on solving this?

I got this message just yesterday when I tried to run my newly-
installed Python 1.6b1 (except that the missing exception class was
"UnboundLocalError" rather than "EnvironmentError").

The problem was that my autoexec.bat file was still initializing
environment variables [not sure what the proper Windows term is]
for Python 1.5.2. (I think PYTHONPATH was the main culprit.)

So if you're on Windows, I suggest looking in C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT for
references to a previous Python installation, and either remove them,
or comment them out with a "rem". I think you'll have to restart
Windows for it to take effect.

If you're on Unix, you might be setting PYTHON* variables in your shell
start-up file (~/.cshrc, ~/.bashrc, etc). Remove them, or comment
them out with a "#".

-Michael Dyck