Stripping new lines from strings?

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 24 01:28:42 EDT 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:44:55 -0700, Bill Spears
<bspears at mail.teleport.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

> CHRIS wrote:
>
> > ajung at suxers.de wrote:
> >

> > From what I understand of Python file I/O, there is no guarantee that
> > returned lines all contain new lines characters so, it may clip the last
> > line's ending character. And even then, if it is used on a Windows file,
> > it would skip the '\r' character.
> >

> Are you sure about this?  I thought the idea of reading a line is that you
> got a line, i.e. it has \n on the end.  And I believe that the conversion
> from file \r\n to \n is supposed to be automatic.  I guess maybe the last
> line in the file could be missing an end of line marker.

	Pardon the complete quoting, but since I'm replying to both...

	From the library reference manual I can extract that readline()
(and by evaluation, readlines()) keeps the newline character. A file
may, however, not contain a newline on the last line. It does NOT "clip
the last line's ending character".

	The key point is: an empty (but not EOF) line of data results in
a string with a newline character. EOF results in an EMPTY string.