Using Python to extend Msdev (Visual C++)

Syver Enstad syver at osiris.no
Wed Aug 9 08:18:19 EDT 2000

> However, I think one could get a very similar effect by
> developing an *add-in* for MSDEV that will connect to Python
> (maybe via ActiveScripting/ScriptControl) and just act as
> a go-between (probably no more than establishing initial
> connection would be necessary).  A slightly round-about
> process, but shouldn't be _too_ hard using the wizards...
> and I think you only need to do it once (if one can figure
> out a neat way to communicate at runtime to the add-in the
> name of the .py file to load and to which to delegate
> events &c -- I can't think of an elegant way right now,
> but there's gotta be one...).

Yes, I was thinking about add-in's perhaps was a workaround. But to be
really useful the addin had to be like you outline above, so that one could
use the addin to run all python scripts one wanted.

I've looked at the addin wizard, but got putoff because of the amount of
code it generated and documentation that seemed very cryptic to me.

I might try to make a Python add in for Visual C++. If anybody has any ideas
for how to implement with the least fuss, post your idea. (I don't really
have time to invest much time in this, as I have "real" work to do, but
having a proper scripting language in MSDEV would be great)