Simple Server

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Fri Aug 25 15:18:10 EDT 2000

"Aahz Maruch" <aahz at netcom.com> wrote in message
news:8o6akm$80t$1 at slb6.atl.mindspring.net...
> In article <39a6ac83 at news.xtml.co.uk>,
> Nick Trout <nick at nil_spam_videosystem.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >I would like to set up a simple web server (intranet). We are using NT.
> >What is the simplest/easiest way to do this and use Python scripts?
> >Can I write Python plugins using Frontpage/server extensions?
> >Am I best using Apache and PyApache?
> >Is Zope *very* complicated?
>
> If the primary purpose of this server is to serve results from Python
> scripts *AND* ( all of these Python scripts are light-weight *OR* speed
> of response to multiple requests is not important ) *THEN* probably
> Medusa is your best bet.

If, on the other hand, the server is to be of more general purpose
(use Python scripts *and* other stuff), then one alternative to Apache
which you may want to consider is Xitami (still at www.imatix.com,
I believe).  Very simple, lightweight, easy to administer even for a
duff like me (I find even administering Apache somewhat complex,
let alone IIS...).  One Python plus is the simple, lightweight, easy
to administer LRWP (long-running web process) fastcgi-like interface,
authored by Robin Dunn; the sample apps are for Python, C, Perl,
and Java, but one knows it's not by chance that Python is first on
the list:-).

Alex