Still no new license -- but draft text available

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Fri Aug 4 15:55:24 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8om4md.q60.wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net>, William Tanksley wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 18:32:01 GMT, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>In article <cpu2d027t0.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>>>I may have been using my own time, except CNRI's employment
>>>agreement made *everything* I did (not just what I did in the
>>>40 hours worked on CNRI projects) subject to CNRI's ownership.

I'd talk to a lawyer before I signed anything that broad again.

>>Employers can not claim ownership of things that employees do
>>on their own time with their own resources.  Even if you signed
>>something like that, it would likely be unenforcible. If you
>>built a tool shed in your back yard over the weekend, would
>>CNRI own it?  Doubt it.  If you wrote a program in your
>>basement over the weekend, does CNRI own it?  Doubt it.
>
>Actually, it's quite enforcable.  In many places it's even
>enforcable when the employee has a good lawyer.  There are some
>NASTY clauses in some of those employment agreements, but if
>you sign them you're responsible.

I've talked to people who've gotten out from under agreements
like that, but I suppose it depends on the agreement.  I'd
never sign one that gave my employer ownership over things I do
in my spare time with my own resources.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Join the PLUMBER'S
                                  at               UNION!!