Python in game development?

Jason McDermott mcdermoj at ohsu.edu
Tue Aug 29 21:05:31 EDT 2000

> In article <T1Ze5.9877$r4.5093 at news.indigo.ie>,
> Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:
>>In article <8lh588$oti$3 at news.fsu.edu>, Ronald Steedman
>><steedman at quake.cs.fsu.edu> wrote:
>>> Imagine how an intepreter would help. Try one thing IMMEDIATELY SEE THE
>>> RESULT... try another thing IMMEDIATELY SEE THE RESULT... then you only
>>> compile the application when you're finished and want a faster program.
>>
>>If I were your boss I would make sure you had no access to an
>>interpreter!  I would even slow down your compilation by giving you an
>>older machine ;-)
>>
>>Changing things at random and hoping the problem goes away is not the
>>way to fix bugs.

I would contend that this is the essence of good programming, just as its
the essence of good science- look at the code (to borrow from genetics, the
genotype), propose a hypothesis, test the hypothesis by changing the code,
examine the results of the change (the phenotype), repeat ad nauseum until
the bug(s) are fixed. While its true that random alterations in your code
made willy-nilly are likely to be detrimental- modifications designed to
test a hypothesis are what debugging (the fun part of programming :) is all
about.

Jason

                               Jason McDermott
                                Phone:494-8098
                                FAX  :494-6862
                                email: mcdermoj at ohsu.edu
                 OHSU, Dept. Microbiology and Immunology, L220
                                     # #