Python and CORBA

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Wed Aug 16 07:26:47 EDT 2000

In article <p6qu2clsh33.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de>,
 Martin von Loewis  <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

>Also, I feel that inheritance is cleaner than delegation for
>implementing interfaces, but that might be a matter of taste. The best
>thing probably would be if orbit-python provided all aspects of the
>standard mapping, offering extensions where they feel the standard
>mapping is inappropriate. Then users can chose whether they want to
>write portable (across ORBs) code, or orbit-specific code.

I agree. I also think that non-standard features should be clearly
separated from standard ones. That way, it's obvious to the
programmer, and to people reading the code, which bits will have to
change to migrate to another ORB. In omniORBpy, all non-standard
features live in the omniORB package, or have the prefix NP for
"non-portable".

Cheers,

Duncan.