GTK/Gnome or TKinker?

Robert Cragie robert.cragie at *nospam*asisi.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 20:21:50 EDT 2000

Steve Lamb <grey at despair.rpglink.com> wrote in message
news:slrn8ok2se.kpi.grey at teleute.rpglink.com...
>     I've decided to embark on a project that I want to be fairly portable
> across Unix and Windows.  It will use a GUI and I am having trouble
deciding
> on which toolkit to use.  I've looked into GTK/GNome and the fact that
there
> doesn't appear to be a fairly active port to Windows does exactly fill me
with
> confidence in its continued support
>
>     OTOH is TKinker.  Now, from what I hear TKinker isn't as well
developed as
> GTK/Gnome so while it appears to have a stable port to Windows taking up
> TKinker might mean overall difficulties.
>
>     Does anyone who has practical experience with these toolkits have any
> advice?

I am using wxPython in preference to Tkinter and I think it is really good.
It has a natural set of classes which are familiar to anyone who has done
Windows programming using MFC. It runs on Windows and GTK. Check out
http://wxpython.org.

Robert Cragie