print statement and multithreading

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 23 12:28:11 EDT 2000

[Aahz]
> IIRC, Python 2.0 will be ANSI-compliant.  I believe that Tim made
> mention of some heroic coding efforts to make that happen.

I'm not sure that any form of moving 17 tons of gravel from one pile to
another using a teaspoon could be called heroic, but, ya, the 2.0 codebase
won't get anywhere with a K&R compiler anymore.  All the K&R-style
declarations are gone, prototypes are used almost everywhere now (a large
pile of module "init" functions still don't pass gcc's -Wstrict-prototypes),
and other general ANSIfication was achieved.

However, C99 is the *current* ISO C standard, so Python is again behind the
times!  This is isomorphic to the reason Python originally stuck to K&R C:
"the next" std is never widely available enough until many years after its
initial adoption.

we'll-move-to-c99-when-c3000-is-law-ly y'rs  - tim

PS:  it's a bit ironic that this topic came up in the context of
multithreading:  threads aren't part of K&R C, ANSI C, or C99!