signal

Thomas Thiele thiele at muc.das-werk.de
Tue Aug 1 15:39:14 EDT 2000

> It depends an awful lot on what you're doing, both in "update some things"
> and in the rest of the program.  select() with timeouts works well in
> some multiple task situations, more useful and reliable than alarm()
> and I believe more portable.  Commonly you'd use this approach where
> the program spends its time waiting for input on a socket.

But with select the program waits until timeout. So I need a thread.

It's an Tkinter-GUI and it must be ready for userclick.
And sometimes it has to ask for some other datas.

My temporaer solution is to use a thread and time.sleep.
But then the program stops at listbox.update() functions....It seem that I
can't call widget.update() from a outher thread (NT).

For information "update some things" uses a socket connection to a server to
another host (IRIX) and pickles some data classes through it. (and the server
answers)
Then I update my listboxes with this returned datas. This has to be done
every 10 seconds and the user must be still able to click and write in this
gui.