Is Python moving too fast? (was Re: Is python commercializationazing? ...)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Aug 27 18:31:22 EDT 2000

[Skip Montanaro]
>     1.  For the first time in it's 10+ year history, the
>         language actually has a team of programmers led by
>         Guido whose full-time job is to work on the language.

[David]
> I'm going to be exceedingly crass here, and suggest that when your
> full-time job is to work on the language, you're rather forced to make
> changes for the sake of changes, because otherwise you won't have a job.

Except that nobody actually has a full-time job "working on the language"
("Python" covers a whale of a lot more than just the Language Reference
Manual and its implementations!  Skip was less than precise there), and
BeOpen.com is not a charity.  That is, *nobody* is going to pay us to make
changes just for the sake of making changes.

I can't see that there would ever be a desire to, either.  For example, I
could easily spend the rest of my life adding new library modules and
frameworks that ten past years of Python experience convince me people would
really benefit from, and so could each of the other guys.  The "full-time"
in "full-time job" means we'll get to accomplish *more* of what we wanted to
accomplish before we die, but by no means all of it; the "job" part means
that which particular projects get accomplished will be strongly influenced
by where BeOpen.com (or other parties -- development is wide open now) can
find or develop a paying market or partnership.

There always was, and always will be, more real work to be done than can be
accomplished.

speaking-of-which-my-traitorous-stomach-insists-i-waste-time-eating-
    now<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim