[PEP draft 2] Adding new math operators

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at localhost.localdomain
Wed Aug 9 15:24:34 EDT 2000

On 09 Aug 2000 20:54:19 +0200, Konrad Hinsen <hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr> wrote:
>hzhu at localhost.localdomain (Huaiyu Zhu) writes:
>
>> The more I think about this approach, the more uncertainties it presents. It
>
>What uncertainties? In the variety that I have described, It's
>basically NumPy and MatPy, much as they are today, with a more
>efficient interconversion.

It's uncertainty about the "more efficient interconversion".  Try

def E(self):

and give it a few test examples including numbers, arrays and matrices.

If you mean adding .E to numbers in the core, then that's a big change,
certainly not as they are today.  It does require a design that specifies
all the effects, like what I listed: 2==(2).E?  2 is (2).E?  And many more.
I haven't seen any complete description of this kind, but I'm not saying it
can't be done. If someone describes it then the uncertainties go away.

Huaiyu