SMTP authentication

Peter Schneider-Kamp nowonder at nowonder.de
Wed Aug 16 09:54:38 EDT 2000

Meursault wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm quite at the level to be
> writing patches for the Python distribution, but your pointing me to
> the base64 mod has certainly been helpful. Only problem now is I'm
> getting a response of '501 Invalid AUTH reponse' after I send the
> password, and I'm not sure why. There seem to be LFs tacked on to the
> end of my login info, and I'm wondering if that is the problem. Any
> other insights would be appreciated. Here is the output, and my code
> follows.

As I do not have a valid username/password combination at your
server (nor a server which supports 'auth login' - only md5 stuff)
I don't think I can help you very much.

I get a (535, 'AUTH failed') response which is what I would
expect from RFC 2554.

If you get this working, though, please let me know. Authorization
support would imho be a Cool Thing(tm) for smtplib.

Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de