gratuitous new features in 2.0

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri Aug 25 19:15:18 EDT 2000

In article <8o6sje$fi2$2 at newshost.accu.uu.nl>,
Martijn Faassen <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> wrote:

>So, while I don't mind the print statement, is there something else that
>makes print special that we're overlooking? Otherwise it would seem to be
>smarter just to introduce this system of functions instead. Eventually we
>could then even deprecate the statement; Python seems to be dynamic enough
>to be able to do without, without losing the flexibility.

I'm going to repeat myself, just in case you didn't see my earlier post:

There's something simple and magical about just doing

>>> print 1+1
2

for a new programmer.  It's not the same if the new person has to type

>>> print(1+1)
2

>From my POV that simple magic is an essential ingredient in exciting and
inspiring new programmers to keep plugging away.  As someone said
earlier today, one of the glories of Python is that it does *NOT*
attempt to pigeonhole everything into the OOP paradigm.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

The difference between "intelligence" and "wisdom": Londo and G'Kar  --Aahz