Still no new license -- but draft text available

Pat McCann thisis at bboogguusss.org
Thu Aug 17 23:41:17 EDT 2000

"Jeffrey B. Siegal" <jbs at quiotix.com> writes:

> Pat McCann wrote:
> > Gifts aren't generous.  People are.  And you don't get generosity points
> > for other people's gifts.  You get generosity points for granting some
> > of your copyrights.  And copyleftists grant fewer rights than other open
> > software developers.  Therefore they are less generous.
>
> Yes and no. I agree (as I originally stated), that using the strict definition
> of the word generous, from the point of view of the individual licensor and
> licensee, BSD licensing is clearly more generous.
>
> But perhaps that's simply the wrong measure.

> Someone who gives $1 million to a drug addict to buy drugs is technically more
> generous than someone who gives $100,000 to a valuable charity which makes a
> real difference in the world, but the one giving $100,000 has clearly done more
> for, and been more generous to, society as a whole.

Generosity is measured at the giving end, not the receiving end.

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=generosity

Anyway, it might make a bigger difference, but that doesn't
make it more generous.  Perhaps that's simply the wrong word too, but
that takes us to an argument that neither can ever come close to proving.

Though not precisely apropos, you might check out
The Parable of The Widows's Mite at Mark 12:42
http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/CP02Mark2.htm