How does Python compare to ?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Aug 1 05:00:52 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 04:39:28PM -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 10:36:00PM +0000, Paul Jackson wrote:
> > >     In the same interval, python does some 196 milliseconds worth
> > >     of stuff, including 52 open attempts, 34 stat attempts, 67
> > >     sigaction calls, 12 fstat's, 20 close's, 27 brk's, ...
> >
> > Okay, now try it with 'python -S'. This omits the 'site.py' import, which
> > itself requires a ton of other things. When using '-S', python is
> > consistently 10msec faster than perl, on my P2-something running Linux.

> That helps some, but not as much as you are seeing.  I just saw
> the Python time on my Irix box, between loading libc and reading
> the 'print' command go from 178 msec down to 72 msec.  Not close
> to the 9 or 10 msec for perl.

Unsure what made the difference, but that *might* be the fact that I'm
running Python 2.0b1, not 1.5.2. And a modified 2.0b1 at that :) Testing
with 1.5(.0) on BSDI shows Python a very teensy bit slower than perl, even
with -S (but not that much slower *without* -S either ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>