Proxy and ftplib

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Mon Aug 28 10:00:40 EDT 2000

david_porter7652 at my-deja.com wrote:
> How does one use a proxy server with ftplib? I have a program
> that works on my home pc with a dial-up internet connection and
> in work with a proxy server I cannot get a connection. For a shot
> in the dark I tried  ftp_proxy='proxy_name'  ftp_port=proxy_port
> without success.

Oleg respondth:
> ftplib does not work with proxy - urllib does.

Hi David.

Oleg is correct, but that's not the whole story.  I've
been able to get ftplib to work through inbound/outbound
proxies, provided I had knowledge of what each firewall
required.

The problem is -- unlike http -- there are several
conventions for proxying ftp, so you have to acquire
knowledge about the firewalls, or try and test the most
common conventions.

A good client ftp program to examine is ncftp.  The
source is available at http://www.ncftp.com

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research