Python in game development?

Peter Cowderoy/PSYCHO peter at cowderoy.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 13:09:46 EDT 2000

Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote in message
news:h55r5.19698$r4.10070 at news.indigo.ie...
> As eep2 would put it: "Evolve, champ!"

Well, he'd say "chump" rather than "champ" - but seeing as he's never right
when he uses the offending phrase, I doubt you want to get too close :-)

> Okay, the bugs can sometimes be located by test examples,
> single-stepping, all manner of things.  But really fixing them means
> understanding what went wrong.  I always have a really bad feeling about
> code that works when I don't really know why it works...

Sometimes the "groping" methods lead to you knowing ("oops, I coupled a
while loop with a null statement" - my first C bug, and a real bitch to
track down when you've only just started using the language and have nothing
but a simple command line compiler). The trick is to not stop until you know
why. Plenty of times I've figured out why due to stumbling, such as a couple
of incidents while porting Quake to use FMOD (which were mostly not FMOD's
fault, assuming my diagnosis was correct...).

psycho at cowderoy.co.uk

'In Ankh-Morpork even the shit have a street to itself...
 Truly this is a land of opportunity.' - Detritus, Men at Arms