Newbie question

Pete Shinners pete at visionart.com
Thu Aug 17 22:30:12 EDT 2000

"TTDCKD" <ttdckd at aol.com> wrote
> This may sound stupid but im realy new to programming and i dont
> know what a text editor is. I need to know what a text editor is
> so i can creat module files in the future.

well, we really are starting at the beginning here.
a text editor is a simple program similar to "notepad"
(in fact, notepad is a text editor) it is simply a program
that allows you to type in text from the keyboard and load
and save that information to files.

it sounds like you want to create your own modules. from
that i gather you already have the python interpreter running?

if you've installed everything needed to get python running
for windows (i assume windows, since your message came from aol)
you should be able to launch a program named IDLE somewhere under
the start menu under Python.

IDLE makes for a fine text editor on its own. once it is
running, choose "File->New Window" from the top menu, and
your text editor will open in a new window. from here you can
type in all the text you want, then save it. (under the file
menu)

IDLE makes it really easy to program with python. once you've
created a simple module and saved it to disk, you can have
IDLE run the program for you. "Edit->Run Module" (or press F5).

good luck with everything, hopefully this is enough to get
you started