Addressing schemes (Re: Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!))

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Wed Aug 2 22:19:55 EDT 2000

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 13:15:48 +1200, Greg Ewing <see at my.signature> wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>> In most places numbers go up 100 per "block"
>
>Ah, so *that*'s why you get house numbers in the thousands
>in US addresses!

In many places they go to five digits.  The 100 per block
scheme is handy because many cities have numbered streets in
one direction (or sometimes both), and you know that an address
of 14xx is between 14th Street and 15th Street.  Except in St.
Paul, where the numbers go up 50 per block.  Usually.

>I used to think it was because you had really, really
>really long streets over there...

That too.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  WHY are we missing
                                  at               KOJAK?