updated version of David Ascher's compile.py?

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Thu Aug 24 22:36:34 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> wrote in message
news:8o38k40ff5 at news1.newsguy.com...
> I've just tried installing ActiveState's distribution of
> Python 1.6 for Windows, and it seems to be fine (except
> for funny things, such as 'unicode' not being found by a
> search in the docs although unicode function _is_ correctly
> documented among the builtins -- go figure!)

That is a bug - thanks!  I just entered it.

> I _think_ it's the compile.py version I have, originally
> downloaded from:
> http://starship.python.net/crew/skippy/ppw32/index.html

That is the first version with support for VC5 and VC6, and AFAIK the
latest publically available one.  David Ascher recently asked me for a
copy, so I think it still is the latest :-)

Can you try that vanilla version again?  If it still fails, I'm afraid
I have no advice - I dont have MSVC5 here.  But it does still work for
me with VC6.

Mark.