PyGres????

Roland Mas mas at echo.fr
Mon Aug 7 20:33:16 EDT 2000

Samuel A. Falvo II (2000-08-07 15:55:25 -0700) :

> I'm having two issues.  First, I can't seem to connect to a database without
> typing the name of the database *precisely*.  That is, it's not case
> insensitive.  For example, basics.DB("testDB") might work, while
> basics.DB("testdb") will likely NOT work.  A minor issue, and one which I
> can work around.  But it really is very annoying.

As far as I can recall, this is not Pygres's fault.  The DB's testDB
and testdb are different ones from PostgreSQL's point of view, so
Pygres cannot do what you request.

> Second, and far more important, is how the heck do I access
> individual records piecemeal? [...] I can sure use any advice you
> folks have to offer.  :-)

  I don't use Pygres, so I cannot tell you how to do that using
Pygres.  But you can consider switching over to PoPy
<URL:http://www.mixadlive.com/siti_web/mixadlive/software/postgresql>.
This module is DBAPI 2.0 compliant, so there's at least the doc
provided by the DBAPI spec (other than that, I agree there's little
doc).  The point is, if you ever want to switch from PostgreSQL to
another database (such as MySQL, for instance), you just have to
change the connection procedure.

  Sorry I'm not of any better help, but it is an alternative.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

If you spit in the air, it lands in your face.
  -- Tevye, in Fiddler on the roof