Pronouncing "print>>"

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Thu Aug 31 17:51:07 EDT 2000

In article <8om5qn$ie9$1 at inputplus.demon.co.uk>, ralph at inputplus.demon.co.uk
says...

>Hi Carey,
>
>> While I don't really like the new print syntax, I've decided to
>> accept it.  This leaves me with the problem of how to say it out
>> loud.
>
>It's a single operator, not two so I don't think a doubled word works.
>How do you pronounce `2 ** 3'?  `2 star star 3' or `2 to the power of
>3'?

(Would you believe me if I told you that I said "star star" <<beam me up,
Scottie>>?)

>    8 >> 1                eight right-shift one
>    print >>file          print to file

It looks like "to" is showing up as something of a favorite.  However, I haven't
seen my own favorite listed so far: "greater than, greater than".

(maybe-will-strunk-was-wrong-on-that-whole-nutty
   -"omit-needless-words"-thing-<wink>)-ly y'rs,

=g2
p.s.  It occurred to me recently that "to" is already a somewhat unlikely
program identifier in Python inasmuch as it's evil twin, "from", has long been a
keyword.

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com